Friday, May 4, 2012

Jewelry Holder

My awesome book club is sad to see another good friend moving away. It could have been worse than a 2.5 hour drive away, so we'll count our blessings that she can still pop down and see us. I made her this gift so I thought I'd share.


Can you tell what it was?  A large pill container from Dollar Tree! 
Here's what I did to transform it into something pretty and useful.

I tried a couple of things to get those letters off. What I found worked the best was gently scraping it off with the non-cutting edge of a small knife.  *Sharp! Please be careful.*  It doesn't take much pressure-- you don't want to scratch it.

Next lightly take an emory board or fine sandpaper and buff all four sides and bottom-- NOT the top! ;) This will help the glue stick better.

Time to cut the paper to fit the sides and bottom.  I used lined patterned cardstock paper so this was a breeze. If you look carefully at the first picture in this post you can tell I trimmed the paper a little smaller in hopes that doing so will decrease the edges pulling and peeling.

Spread a thin layer of Modge Podge (I used Matte) on the sides and bottom of container. (I opened the lids so I didn't accidently glue them shut.) Carefully smooth the paper on. Let dry a bit (5-10 mins). Then brush a layer of Modge Podge over the paper. Allow to completely dry.

Modge Podge can be tacky in humid climates (like a bathroom!) so an all purpose sealer is a good idea.

When it is completely dry, fill up with your favorite earrings, bracelets, necklaces, hair bands, or barrettes.


Materials~
Pill Holder: $1
Scrapbook paper: on hand
Modge Podge: on hand
Craft Sealer: on hand

TOTAL: $1 and up

1 comment: