Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Material Hangers

Craft Room Organizing: Part II

My material is currently stored in large 18 gallon tubs under my craft table. Rummaging through them to find what I need/have is a pain. I never remember what I have in my stash either.  Purusing Pinterest hasn't helped much either. I did find this one here, but I don't have the shelf space. 

While I was digging through my craft room today, I came upon these cooling racks that I bought at the Dollar Tree Store. (Remember, I said it was my favorite store.)  I picked them up one day knowing they would be great for something, just not knowing at the time what.  Guess what? I figured it out.



I sorted my material by colors and hung them from the rungs. I love how you can see each piece of material. All the pieces were 2 yards or less. The cuts that were bigger than 1 yard I spaced every other rung. A yard and less cuts were hung using every rung.


White ribbon (also a Dollar Tree purchase) tied the cooling-turned-fabric racks to a sturdy hanger. (Note: standard tube hangers were too weak, but I noticed at my last Dollar Tree Visit that they now have Heavy Duty Plastic Hangers so I wonder if those would work.) Now my fabric is ready to be hung in the closet for easy viewing and access. I'm already eyeing some for a cute summer skirt for my little girl.




Materials:
Wire Cooling Racks, 2 pk (Dollar Tree): $1
White Grossgrain Ribbon (Dollar Tree): $1, or on hand
Sturdy Plastic Hanger: on hand

TOTAL: $1 and up for 2!

15 comments:

  1. I love this idea. My daughter has started showing an interest in sewing and has been collecting fabric scraps. This would be a great way to help her see what she has to work with and it does get it out of her fabric bag. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a FABULOUS IDEA Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If u like those plastic fabric wrap organizers for putting on shelves she featured that are so expecive, go to Dollar Tree or 99cent store, & buy theyre cheapie, thin cutting boards & use the same way. ;*》

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool idea!
    I would suggest using wooden hangers, as plastic drys out after awile & crackes easily.
    U can paint it, wrap w/ribbon or material then Mod Podge it, or choose a beautiful paper napkin & decopodge it on! Have fun w/it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have wooden hangers and agree with you. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  6. This is an absolutely brilliant idea!!! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually wear hijabs ( headscarves ) on my head, and I had a hard time storing them neatly. I have lots of them, so when I put them in a pile, it looked kinda messy. This is so neat and cheap idea. Love it and definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love,love,love this idea. Right now I have 2 large totes & 16 small plastic containers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. I have lots of fabric pieces but I think I could use this for the larger pieces. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the heads up on this great idea, will pick up some racks on my next visit to Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent Idea. Please Contact me.

    ReplyDelete