Today I solved a problem. Woohoo! And it was just in time for sparkler season.
My boys LOVE sparklers but at the same time they are scared of them-- frankly I think a tiny bit of fear of fire is a good thing. However, I still want them to enjoy sparklers safely.
Enter the Red Solo Cup! (Are you humming the song, too?! Bet you won't be getting the tune out of your head very soon! It's catchy like that.)
Poke a tiny hole in the center of the top. Insert Sparkler so the end that burns is outside the cup and the handle wire is inside the cup. Light the sparkler and enjoy.
You are all smart but I feel like I need to post some warnings...
** Be safe with fireworks and read the warnings on packages!!
** Make sure the burning end of the sparklers remains OUTSIDE the cup. Make sure kiddos are holding the end of the handle against the inside bottom of the cup so the cup can't slip down and allow the sparkler to burn inside the cup.
** When the sparkler is done burning, hold onto the outside of the cup with the other hand and release the sparkler above a bucket of water, as shown. Don't touch the hot end of the sparkler!!!
Have fun and Be Safe!
**Editted to add**
So after reading comments below, I decided to see under what conditions the cup would melt.
Even holding the lit sparkler one inch away during the entire burn, there was not a mark on the cup.
In fact the only way I got the cup to melt was when I stuck the lit sparkler inside the cup, where the heat can build up more. It melted a hole in the side about the size of a dollar coin.
If you are worried that your kids can't keep the sparkler outside the cup bend the wire so that it can't slip inside the cup. My 5 and 7 year-olds were fine.